What is Black Seed Oil?
Black seed (Nigella Sativa) is also known by other names black caraway, roman coriander and black cumin. The plant Nigella Sativa plant that is native to Asia. The plant has small, black, crescent shaped seeds from which we get the active compounds crystalline nigellone and thymoquinone which are the most studied. The seed and oil have been used since the time of the Pharaohs or maybe even before then (Tutankamun even had a bottle of the oil in his tomb!).
The black seed is also mentioned in the Bible in Isiah 28:25-27 as the ‘fitches’. Ibn Senna, known in the West as Avicenna, who wrote the great medical treatise ‘The Canon of Medicine’, referred to the black seed as the seed ‘that stimulates the body’s energy and helps recovery from fatigue’.
What Benefits Does It Have?
Over the years there have been many claimed benefits of Black seed oil here are just a few quoted from studies:
- Type 2 Diabetes: Two grams of black seed a day resulted in reduced fasting glucose, decreased insulin resistance, increased beta-cell function, and reduced glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c) in human subjects.[ii]
- Helicobacter Pylori Infection: Black seeds possess clinically useful anti-H. pylori activity, comparable to triple eradication therapy.[iii]
- Epilepsy: Black seeds were traditionally known to have anticonvulsive properties. A 2007 study with epileptic children, whose condition was refractory to conventional drug treatment, found that a water extract significantly reduced seizure activity.[iv]
- High Blood pressure: The daily use of 100 and 200 mg of black seed extract, twice daily, for 2 months, was found to have a blood pressure-lowering effect in patients with mild hypertension.[v]
- Asthma: Thymoquinone, one of the main active constituents within Nigella sativa, is superior to the drug fluticasone in an animal model of asthma.[vi] Another study, this time in human subjects, found that boiled water extracts of black seed have relatively potent antiasthmatic effect on asthmatic airways.[vii]
- Acute tonsillopharyngitis: characterized by tonsil or pharyngeal inflammation (i.e. sore throat), mostly viral in origin, black seed capsules (in combination with Phyllanthus niruri) have been found to significantly alleviate throat pain, and reduce the need for pain-killers, in human subjects.[viii]
- Chemical Weapons Injury: A randomized, placebo-controlled human study of chemical weapons injured patients found that boiled water extracts of black seed reduced respiratory symptoms, chest wheezing, and pulmonary function test values, as well as reduced the need for drug treatment.[ix]
- Colon Cancer: Cell studies have found that black seed extract compares favorably to the chemoagent 5-fluoruracil in the suppression of colon cancer growth, but with a far higher safety profile.[x] Animal research has found that black seed oil has significant inhibitory effects against colon cancer in rats, without observable side effects.[xi]
- MRSA: Black seed has anti-bacterial activity against clinical isolates of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus.[xii]
- Opiate Addiction/Withdrawal: A study on 35 opiate addicts found black seed as an effective therapy in long-term treatment of opioid dependence.[xiii]
How to use Black Seed Oil:
You can rub the oil into the skin or you can ingest the oil orally. It can come as liquid form, capsules or less popular products such as shampoos and soaps. You will also find it mixed with other beneficial ingredients like honey, garlic or pumpkin seed oil. Here are just a few examples for therapeutic usage:
BACKACHE & OTHER MUSCLE PAINS
Mildly heat some Black Seed oil and then rub the affected area intensely with the oil. Also drink 1 teaspoon (5ml) of Virgin black seed oil to be drunk 3 times daily.
Mix any drink with 1 teaspoon (5ml) of Black Seed oil and take 2 lobes of garlic with breakfast. Rub the whole body with Black Seed oil and expose to sun rays for half an hour once every 3 days.
NERVOUS TENSION / STRESS
Take 1 teaspoon (5ml) of Virgin Black Seed oil with a cup of tea or coffee this will help to cool you down and eliminate symptoms of tension.
Drink a cup of milk with 1 teaspoon (5ml) of Virgin Black Seed oil 3 times daily for five days.
GALL & KIDNEY STONES
Grind 250g of whole black seeds thoroughly and mix with 250g of Pure Honey. Take 2 tablespoons of this mixture in half a cup of hot water. Take daily before breakfast every morning together with 1 teaspoon (5ml) of Virgin Black Seed oil.
Heres a video about the benefits of Black Seed:
If you are suffering from any minro ailment why not try to bring some Joy into your life by trying Black Seed Oil therapy! Please be careful when taking any dietary supplements or therapies and if you are taking prescribed medication always check with your doctor or pharmacist before starting any courses. The clinical effectiveness of balck seed oil and the research is ongoing and you will have to make sure read all information provided by your supplier before you take the ‘wonder cure’.
Thanks for helping me to see things in a difrefent light.