If it’s your first time going to a London gym, you might think that all you need is yourself and your membership card.
In theory, you could probably get away with this, but if you really want to get the most from your workout session, there are five things that you could really do with having.
1. A proper outfit – working out can take its toll on your body and so you need to ensure that you’re in comfortable and supportive clothes for the session.
Invest in a good quality pair of trainers, some decent shorts or tracksuit bottoms and t-shirt that will let your skin breathe. Make sure that they’re always clean, too.
2. A water bottle – you might think it’s only a small point and that there are plenty of water machines for you to use if you’re thirsty, but you’ll be pleased you have a water bottle to hand when you’re running on a treadmill, feel great and think that you can run for a few more miles but are thirsty and need rehydrating.
3. A towel and shower bag – after a good workout, there’s nothing better than being able to get a hot shower to soothe your muscles.
Rather than wait until you get home, which is something that a lot of people do, why not use the showers in the gym? That’s what they’re there for and unless you’ve got a particularly strong power shower at home, you’re going to get more benefit from the showers at the gym.
4. A positive frame of mind – if you’re going to a workout session and you really don’t want to be there, the best option for you is to not work through this feeling and instead turn round and go home.
Not everyone who goes to a London gym loves it, but it shouldn’t be a chore for anyone every single time.
If you find that you have to force yourself to go, you’ll do nothing but make yourself hate the experience more and more, until you get to a stage where you don’t want to go at all.
5. Motivation – unless you simply enjoy working out, something that a select few people throughout the country do, you’re going to need some type of motivation to help you workout properly, otherwise your time at the gym is going to be spent doing nothing other than strolling on the treadmill.
Before you start at the gym, think about why it is that you’re going.
Are you going to lose weight so that you feel better about yourself? Or is it for something more important, such as so you can fit into your wedding dress or even because of a health problem and you’ve been advised to lose weight?
Whatever the reason is that you are attending the gym, this is what’s going to be your motivation. Write it down on a few sticky notes, put it in some prominent places at home and at work and always keep it in your mind, as your workout sessions will be a whole lot more productive if you continue to be motivated at all times.
For more information about joining a London gym, visit the Fitness First website.